The Proteomics Unit provides researchers with state-of-the-art technologies in the field. Currently, the Proteomics Unit is a specialized platform in quantitative proteomics and MALDI Imaging (or Molecular Imaging).
The Proteomics Unit offers its analytical services for IMIBIC staff and University of Córdoba and to other universities, hospitals and private companies.
The Unit has two main state-of-the-art components: (i) a high performance liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry platform that provides researchers with access to high-throughput proteomics analyses, ranging from protein identification and characterization to label-free quantitative proteomics; and (ii) a mass spectrometry-based molecular imaging platform (MALDI-Imaging) that provides spatial information of metabolites, lipids and proteins directly from tissues and biopsies.
The Proteomics Unit provides individualized, fit-for-purpose support including project planning, sample preparation, mass spectrometry analysis and data analysis.
Equipment and Facilities
- Q-TOF mass spectrometer, Triple TOF 5600+ (Sciex)
- Triple quadrupole mass spectrometer, XevoTQS (Waters)
- MALDI-TOF/TOF Mass spectrometer, 5800 (Sciex)
- nanoHPLC: Eksigent LC400 (Sciex)
- nanoUPLC: nanoAcquity M-Class (Waters)
- Sprayer: Sunchrom Suncollect (Sunchrom, Friedrichdorf, Germany)
- Main programs (and programming languages) used for data analysis: Protein Pilot, Comet and X!Tandem for protein identification; Peak View, Marker View and Skyline for protein quantification; Tissue View, MSiReader, Cardinal for Maldi Imaging MS. R, Python and Matlab for general analysis purposes.
- Basic laboratory equipment for sample preparation
- Identification and characterization of proteins by MALDI-TOF/TOF
- Identification and characterization of proteins by LC-MS/MS
- Quantitative Proteomics:
- SRM (Selected Reaction Monitoring)
- MALDI Imaging mass spectrometry
- Project supervision and collaboration
- Training in software used for data analysis
- Böhme K, Calo-Mata P, Barros-Velázquez J, Ortea I. Recent applications of omics-based technologies to main topics in food authentication. TrAC - Trends in Analytical Chemistry 2019, 110, 221-232.
- Böhme, K.; Calo-Mata, P.; Barros-Velázquez, J.; Ortea, I. Review of Recent DNA-Based Methods for Main Food-Authentication Topics. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 2019, 67, 3854-3864.
- Garrido-Rodríguez M, Ortea I, Calzado MA, Muñoz E, García V. SWATH proteomic profiling of prostate cancer cells identifies NUSAP1 as a potential molecular target for Galiellalactone. J Proteomics. 2019, 20;193:217-229.
- Ortea I, Ruiz-Sánchez I, Cañete R, Caballero-Villarraso J, Cañete MD. Identification of candidate serum biomarkers of childhood-onset growth hormone deficiency using SWATH-MS and feature selection. J Proteomics 2018, 20;175:105-113.
- Fernández A, Bayón GF, Sierra MI, Ortea I, Bonilla F, Fraga M. Loss of 5hmC identifies a new type of aberrant DNA hypermethylation in glioma. Hum Mol Genet. 2018 Sep 1;27(17):3046-3059.
- Ortea I, González-Fernández MJ, Ramos-Bueno RP, Guil-Guerrero JL. Proteomics Study Reveals That Docosahexaenoic and Arachidonic Acids Exert Different in Vitro Anticancer Activities in Colorectal Cancer Cells. J Agric Food Chem. 2018 Jun 20;66(24):6003-6012
- Prado M, Ortea I, Vial S, Rivas J, Calo-Mata P, Barros-Velázquez J. Advanced DNA- and protein-based methods for the detection and investigation of food allergens. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2016 Nov 17;56(15):2511-2542.
- Ortea I, Rodriguez-Ariza A, Chicano E, Arenas MS, Jurado B. Discovery of potential protein biomarkers of lung adenocarcinoma in bronchoalveolar lavage fluid by SWATH MS data-independent acquisition and targeted data extraction. J Proteomics. 2016 Apr 14;138:106-14.
- Ghedira J, Chicano-Gálvez E, Fernández-Cisnal R, Jebali J, Banni M, Chouba L, Boussetta H, López-Barea J, Alhama J. Using environmental proteomics to assess pollutant response of Carcinus maenas along the Tunisian coast. Sci Total Environ. 2016 Jan 15;541:109-118.
- Ortea I, Roschitzki B et al. Independent Candidate Serum Protein Biomarkers of Response to Adalimumab and to Infliximab in Rheumatoid Arthritis: An Exploratory Study. PLoS One. 2016 Apr 6;11(4):e0153140.
- Ortea I, O'Connor G, Maquet A. Review on Proteomics for food authentication. J Proteomics. 2016 Sep 16;147:212-22.
- Chicano-Gálvez E, Asensio E, Cañavate JP, Alhama J, López-Barea J. Proteomic analysis through larval development of Solea senegalensis flatfish. Proteomics. 2015 Dec;15(23-24):4105-19.
- Abril N, Chicano-Gálvez E, Michán C, Pueyo C, López-Barea J. iTRAQ analysis of hepatic proteins in free-living Mus spretus mice to assess the contamination status of areas surrounding Doñana National Park (SW Spain). Sci Total Environ. 2015 Aug 1;523:16-27.
- de Andrés MC, Pérez-Pampín E, Calaza M, Santaclara FJ, Ortea I, Gómez-Reino JJ, González A. Assessment of global DNA methylation in peripheral blood cell subpopulations of early rheumatoid arthritis before and after methotrexate. Arthritis Res Ther. 2015 Aug 29;17:233