The Isotope Unit is composed of:
Equipment and Facilities
The unit has two laboratories dedicated to working with radioactive isotopes both ɣ and β. One is located on the -2 floor
and the other on the third floor.
The unit has been authorized by the Nuclear Safety Council since December of 2014 to work with the following isotope
||MAXIMUM ACTIVITY (Mbq)
The Radiological Protection Service of the University of Córdoba is responsible for the supervision of this Unit and its
operative procedures. The Service is also responsible for checking that the laboratories are free from contamination
and is in charge of waste management and removal.
- Gamma Counters. 3 units::
- Brand: Wizard
- Model: 2470-0100 Beta counter
- UN Beta Counter.1 unit:
- Brand: Tricard
- Model: 2810 TR
- Microbeta Counter.1 unit:
- Brand: Microbeta2
- Model: 2450-0020
- Harvester cell
- A sample preparer
- Two refrigerated ultracentrifuges with capacity for 200 samples.
- Three exclusive gas cabinets for working with radioactive isotopes, two of which are used with a lead guillotine and
one with a methacrylate guillotine.
- Two radiation detectors:
- Brand: Lamse
- Model: RM10013-RDM
- Training in the handling of β and ɣ counters.
- Labeling of proteins with I-125.
- Identification of protein levels in serum, plasma and other biofluidos using the RIA technique.
- In situ hybridization (ISH) with P-33 labelled probes.
- Radioactive techniques for analysis of cell death and proliferation.
- Consultation regarding the different isotopic techniques that are employed in the laboratory.
- Optimization of protocols.
The necessary infrastructure to house within the Animal Experimentation Unit a PET-RM and MicroTAC Preclinical Imaging
Systems has been designed in collaboration with the Radiological Protection Service of the University of Córdoba and
the Radio diagnostic and Nuclear Medicine Unit of the hospital. This work has been carried out in order to define the
optimal equipment and workflows prior to the bidding process of said equipment.