Our research group is an associated research group of IMIBIC, formed by clinical and basic researchers and pre-doctoral students. The
The line of research that we have been developing for many years on growth disorders focuses on improving both the follow up and
specialized care for children with deficits in Growth Hormone treated at the Pediatric Endocrinology Unit.
Many of our projects have resulted in publications and doctoral theses, contributing to our knowledge about the metabolic consequences of growth hormone related diseases in children, as well as the possible secondary and long-term alterations caused by them.
We have recently gained experience in the study of the human serum proteome with the completion of a doctoral thesis entitled "Proteomic alterations in serum of newborns with intrauterine growth retardation" by Dr. Dolores Ruiz González.
The group leader is responsible of the PAIDI CTS-329 group on Study of Growth, Endocrinology and Nutrition (Andalusian Plan for Research, Development and Innovation (PAIDI)), as well as member of the Network of Physiopathology of Obesity and Nutrition (CIBERobn) of the Spanish National Institute of Health Carlos III (ISCIII).
The main line of research of our group focuses on studying growth and nutrition in prepubertal children. It includes studies of growth and obesity in prepubertal children, focusing on children with metabolic syndrome, inflammatory factors, biomarkers of vascular risk and gene expression of adipose tissue, effects of diet on these factors, study of steatohepatitis and physical activity.
Our research related to nutrition in children with extrauterine growth retardation focuses especially in those children that could develop metabolic syndrome later in their lives. Our group also investigates the growth hormone producing cells and morphological modifications in animals.
We conduct comparative proteomic analyzes of umbilical cord blood from preterm and term infants with intrauterine growth retardation (IUGR) to identify possible differences in proteins they might have with newborns suitable for their gestational age and the likelihood of adverse nutritional effects.
Finally, our group is developing a line of research focused on food allergies, and more specifically on the possible impact on health of workers of solar thermal plants exposed daily to polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons.
- Child obesity
- metabolic syndrome
- cardiovascular biomarkers
- gene expression
- intrauterine-growth-retardation (IUGR)
- growth hormone (GH)
- food allergy
Highlighted publications, in collaboration
- Anguita-Ruiz A, Pastor-Villaescusa B, Leis R, Bueno G, Hoyos R, Vázquez-Cobela R, Latorre-Millán M, Cañete MD, Caballero-Villarraso J, Gil Á, Cañete R, Aguilera CM. Common Variants in 22 Genes Regulate Response to Metformin Intervention in Children with Obesity: A Pharmacogenetic Study of a Randomized Controlled Trial. J Clin Med. 2019 Sep 16;8(9). pii: E1471. doi: 10.3390/jcm8091471.
- Anguita-Ruiz A, Plaza-Diaz J, Ruiz-Ojeda FJ, Rupérez AI, Leis R, Bueno G, Gil-Campos M, Vázquez-Cobela R, Cañete R, Moreno LA, Gil Á, Aguilera CM. X chromosome genetic data in a Spanish children cohort, dataset description and analysis pipeline. Sci Data. 2019 Jul 22;6(1):130. doi: 10.1038/s41597-019-0109-3.
- Caballero-Villarraso J, Aguado R, Cañete MD, Roldán L, Cañete R, Santamaría M. Hormone replacement therapy in children with growth hormone deficiency: impact on immune profile. Arch Physiol Biochem. 2019 Jun 19:1-5. doi: 10.1080/13813455.2019.1628070. [Epub ahead of print]
- Cañete MD, Valle-Martos R, Martos R, Cañete R, Valle M, Jiménez-Reina L. Effects of growth hormone therapy on metabolic parameters, adipokine and endothelial dysfunction in prepuberal children. Acta Paediatr. 2019 Nov;108(11):2027-2033. doi: 10.1111/apa.14849. Epub 2019 Jun 9.
- Ruiz-Ojeda FJ, Anguita-Ruiz A, Rupérez AI, Gomez-Llorente C, Olza J, Vázquez-Cobela R, Gil-Campos M, Bueno G, Leis R, Cañete R, Moreno LA, Gil A, Aguilera CM. Effects of X-chromosome Tenomodulin Genetic Variants on Obesity in a Children's Cohort and Implications of the Gene in Adipocyte Metabolism. Sci Rep. 2019 Mar 8;9(1):3979. doi: 10.1038/s41598-019-40482-0.
- Nuñez-Ramiro A, Benavente-Fernández I, Valverde E, Cordeiro M, Blanco D, Boix H, Cabañas F, Chaffanel M, Fernández-Colomer B, Fernández-Lorenzo JR, Kuligowski J, Loureiro B, Moral-Pumarega MT, Pavón A, Sánchez-Illana A, Tofé I, Hervás D, García-Robles A, Parra-Llorca A, Cernada M, Martinez-Rodilla J, Lorente-Pozo S, Llorens R, Marqués R, Vento M; on behalf of the Hypotop Study Group. Topiramate plus Cooling for Hypoxic-Ischemic Encephalopathy: A Randomized, Controlled, Multicenter, Double-Blinded Trial. Neonatology. 2019;116(1):76-84. doi: 10.1159/000499084. Epub 2019 May 15
- Moreno M, Castillo-Corullón S, Pérez-Ruiz E, Luna MC, Antón-Pacheco JL, Mondejar-Lopez P, De-la-Serna O, Villa JR, Osona B, Torres-Borrego J, Santiago-Burruchaga M, Asensio O, Andres-Martin A, Delgado-Pecellin I, González Y, Palmero A, Escribano A. Spanish multicentre study on morbidity and pathogenicity of tracheal bronchus in children. Pediatr Pulmonol. 2019 Oct;54(10):1610-1616. doi: 10.1002/ppul.24435. Epub 2019 Jul 21.
- Moral L, Vizmanos G, Torres-Borrego J, Praena-Crespo M, Tortajada-Girbés M, Pellegrini FJ, Asensio Ó. Asthma diagnosis in infants and preschool children: a systematic review of clinical guidelines. Allergol Immunopathol (Madr). 2019 Mar - Apr;47(2):107-121. doi: 10.1016/j.aller.2018.05.002. Epub 2018 Sep 5.
- Siu Uribe A, Garrido Pérez JI, Vázquez Rueda F, Ibarra Rodrígue MR, Murcia Pascual FJ, Ramnarine Sánchez SD, Paredes Esteban RM. [Manual detorsion and elective orchiopexy as an alternative treatment for acute testicular torsion in children]. Cir Pediatr. 2019 Jan 21;32(1):17-21. Spanish.
- Tejero Hernández MÁ, Gómez Guzmán E, Arroyo Marín MJ. [Pericardial mass: What lies behind?] An Pediatr (Barc). 2019 Jul 17. pii: S1695-4033(19)30200-0. doi: 10.1016/j.anpedi.2019.05.009. [Epub ahead of print] Spanish.
- Pérez-Navero JL, Merino-Cejas C, Ibarra de la Rosa I, Jaraba-Caballero S, Frias-Perez M, Gómez-Guzmán E, Gil-Campos M, de la Torre-Aguilar MJ. Evaluation of the vasoactive-inotropic score, mid-regional pro-adrenomedullin and cardiac troponin I as predictors of low cardiac output syndrome in children after congenital heart disease surgery. Med Intensiva. 2019 Aug - Sep;43(6):329-336. doi: 10.1016/j.medin.2018.04.005. Epub 2018 Jun 14. English, Spanish.